[TYPO3-core] Supported browsers for the *backend*

Philipp Gampe philipp.gampe at typo3.org
Tue Mar 5 16:26:06 CET 2013

Hi Christian,

Christian Hennecke wrote:

> Do you mean via Firefox's userContent.css? That would certainly help
> developers but I don't think it's something that agencies can provide as
> a solution. Customers want this to work in their standard browsers.
> (We've even had requests to get the BE working on smartphones. *rolls
> eyes*) The option you mentioned looks like a good idea to me.

AFAIK you can include a custom CSS file as part of the skin. So you could
override the styles via a custom extension.

What makes more trouble is the bad resizing behavior in Chrome (iOS?). This
makes it impossible to really work with on a mobile phone.

I think tables are already big enough to not get problems, but I have not
tried yet.

The re-skinning (in terms of technique) of the backend (e.g. by removing
ExtJS and using jQuery) and a mobile friendly "fluid" layout which is
responsive enough to work on all devices is a task for the agencies and not
so much for the individual contributors.
At least I do not think that we currently have many contributors that really
want to create an HTML framework for the backend.

Ingo played around with a backend skin based on bootstrap a year ago:
https://github.com/ingorenner/typo3-bootstrap

IMHO the bigger (or smaller) agencies should get the hands together and pay
a few coders to recreate the backend based on a responsive design.

Best regards
Documentation – linkvalidator
TYPO3 .... inspiring people to share!