[TYPO3-core] Flowplayer in TYPO3

Ernesto Baschny ernesto.baschny at typo3.org
Tue Jun 4 18:12:02 CEST 2013

Hi guys,

We discussed the topic in our release team meeting today. Thanks
everybody for their feedback!

We agreed that:

The Debian package in "main" is "nice to have" and not a top priority.

We want it to stay there, but we don't have the resources to "solve" the
Flowplayer Policy problem. Steffen Ritter worked already several times
on that area (during BLE project and FAL project) and the code "stinks"
and is very difficult to "extract" the Flowplayer functionality into an
extension.

Being said that, it *would be nice* if someone is able to do so.

While we don't have any volunteer that is wanting to work on that, I
recommend to Christian to do what Peter and Steffen Gebert suggested:
Simply remove the offending SWF from the package before packaging for
Debian.

Christian, if you see any potential Core patch to make that easier, feel
free to open an issue in our tracker and post a Review request on that.
We are glad if you can help here.

Besides that, since you - Christian - have the "Debian Packaging"
infrastructure already ready for TYPO3 packaging, it would be
interesting to know if you see the possibility to create stable
"official" .deb packages which *we* could provide on typo3.org from
latest releases. Since our packaging server is Debian-based we could
even package them at the same time we release it and thus keep our own
"apt repository" for "cutting edge" TYPO3 packages.

If we reach this state, we could provide a link to that in your Debian
"main" packages (i.e. in the package description or in a post-install
script notification "Please find the latest version of TYPO3 here:
http://typo3.org/debian/").

Regards,
Ernesto

--