[TYPO3-core] Flowplayer in TYPO3

Ernesto Baschny [cron] ernst at cron-it.de
Tue Jun 4 00:19:41 CEST 2013

Am 2013-06-03 23:40, schrieb Ernesto Baschny:
> Tolleiv Nietsch schrieb am 03.06.2013 22:42:
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> Ernesto Baschny schrieb:
>>> Hi,
>>> c) not ship typo3 in debian at all.
>>>

>> c) would be my answer, because for me it feels wrong to have a debian
>> package for an php application in the first place. But this might be a
>> misconception of what I use debian package for. So it would basically be
>> interesting how many people actually use that package from debian -
>> before we answer that question ;)
>
> Technically I also tend to agree with Michi and Tolleiv on that.
>
> But I guess the main appeal of having TYPO3 packages in Debian "main" is
> from the marketing aspect:
>
> a) it makes our CMS "findable" to all Debian users. It might even make
> TYPO3 known to users which are simply searching Debian packages for "CMS".
>
> b) it somehow emphasizes that the product is not only stable but also
> continually maintained as has been in Debian for some time already.

To ellaborate a bit more on that argument:

I consider being packaged with "debian main" as some kind of
"certification". The requirements for that are known to be very strict.
So this might also be a signal to users and maybe other distributions
that TYPO3 is a trustworthy open source product.

And being dropped from "Debian main" could have a negative repercussion.

Cheers,
Ernesto