[TYPO3-core] Flowplayer in TYPO3

Ernesto Baschny ernesto.baschny at typo3.org
Mon Jun 3 19:43:39 CEST 2013

Christian Welzel schrieb am 03.06.2013 18:57:
> Am 03.06.2013 12:28, schrieb Ernesto Baschny:
>
>> Maybe we could even remove it from Core altogether and provide an
>> Upgrade Wizard for fetching it from TER if required.
>
> Which would also solve the problem, that whenever flowplayer has
> a security issue, the whole TYPO3 core has to be updated.

This might be also be seen from the positive side, as the core updates
are much more easily and painlessly applied than updates of extensions
from TER.

You usually can automate your "typo3_src patchlevel updates" while you
cannot automate TER extension updates (due to the lack of policy -
extensions do not have to obey deprecation policy, do not have branches,
they can add features, remove features, change API etc in a minor update
- which is why you need to go over them manually).

So having it in TER in fact makes security weaker because those updates
are less trivial for a regular integrator to apply.

That's why came to me the idea of having "core-like maintained TER
extensions" which could also be automatically updated at any time
(stable branches only add bug fixes and security updates, etc).

But we don't have this infrastructure quite yet (which would include
amongst other things a "TER with branch support").

Regards,
Ernesto

--
Ernesto Baschny