[TYPO3-core] Backend Documentation Module

Xavier Perseguers xavier at typo3.org
Tue Jul 16 16:25:46 CEST 2013

Hi,

As you certainly know a Documentation module has been kickstarted during
T3DD13:

https://twitter.com/xperseguers/status/355675839167361024/photo/1

You may test it yourself by cloning Francois Suter's Core repository:

https://github.com/fsuter/TYPO3.CMS.Documentation.Migration

and loading new system extension "documentation" within EM.

Now, we would lack just to go one step further before including it
officially into Core and that is basically the retrieval of
documentation packages off docs.typo3.org.

This can be done easily as I prepared documentation packages just as we
have localization packages.

At the moment, they are listed under:

http://docs.typo3.org/typo3cms/extensions/<extension-key>/packages/packages.xml

This work for every system extension having a manual
(css_styled_content, dbal, felogin, form, indexed_search, ...) and 2
extensions, "news" and "sphinx".

This packages.xml shows every zip package available in the directory. To
retrieve a package, download file corresponding to

<extension-key>-<version>-<language>.zip. E.g.,

http://docs.typo3.org/typo3cms/extensions/sphinx/packages/sphinx-1.0.0-default.zip

The goal would be to take the list of loaded extensions and try to
download those documentation packages for the corresponding version.

*BEWARE:* You should test the full version as well as the short version
("6.2." without last digit) which is the case for sysext documentation.

The zip file should then be extracted within typo3conf/Documentation and
keeping the file structure within the zip file which will make the
corresponding documentation available locally for reading.

Would be really cool if someone could help a bit here and e.g., send a
pull request to @fsuter.

Thanks for your help, we are about having something really nice for the
new Documentation!!!

Cheers

--
Xavier Perseguers