[TYPO3-core] RFC: Integrate Doctrine2 into TYPO3 CMS

Thomas Maroschik tmaroschik at dfau.de
Mon Jan 28 14:17:07 CET 2013

Am 28.01.13 00:20, schrieb Michael Stucki:
>> The benefit to have a solid ORM layer in the core would be big, but at
>> the same time this reads for me like rewriting tons of extremely
>> important "enterprise" extensions like workspaces, l10nmgr,
>> languagevisibility, ... to name a few. Somebody would have to take care
>> of the record history / rollback handling and fully rewrite that too.
>> Writing good and solid migration scripts would take very long and with
>> the dropped support for "ext_upgrade" in the new EM, extensions wouldn't
>> even have the chance to ship any migrations.
>
> That's true, we should think about that for a minute. I would like to
> have someone identify those consequences and their costs.

Hey Guys,

I started that one hour proof of concept with this in mind. Doctrine is
split into DBAL and Doctrine ORM. What I integrated into the
DatabaseConnection was Doctrine DBAl. So basicly nothing changes to the
outside. Everyone can still use SQL like they're used to. But
Extbase/Flow ORM can use Doctrine ORM on top of that, and also here the
changes aren't that big.

So this strategy enforces incremental refactoring and improvement in a
way that newly built/rebuilt components can use ORM and older ones still
SQL. The cost of this becomes much smaller.

Sounds like a solid roadmap to me, do you agree?

Greetings,

Tom