[TYPO3-core] RFC: Integrate Doctrine2 into TYPO3 CMS

Philipp Gampe philipp.gampe at typo3.org
Sat Jan 26 14:18:47 CET 2013

Hi Christian,

Christian Kuhn wrote:

> Hey.
>
> I think it would be great to get doctrine as persistence layer in the
> core. Maybe only as optional feature for some versions, similar to what
> was done with the caching framework (parallel to the old code).
>
> On 01/26/2013 11:30 AM, Oliver Hader wrote:
>> In general it can be summarized to the following goals:
>> * lower the effort to maintain our custom persistence layer
>> * add the possibility to have better support for translation and
>>    workspaces
>> * use a standard that has been proven to be good and flexible
>> * and thus get a bit more in sync with TYPO3 Flow again which utilizes
>>    Doctrine already for quite some time
>
> * solve dbal once and for all
>

> There are two special parts in current core that should be considered to
> be dropped along the way (with bullet proof migration wizards). They
> could save us tons of headaches.
>
> Without going to deep into details:
>
> * Drop comma separated id list feature and adapt be_user<->be_group and
> fe_user<->fe_group to use real mm.
>
> * Drop 'localization overlay in different table' feature. In the core,
> this is only done for pages<->pages_language_overlay, the code is
> hardcoded at multiple parts throughout the core, so the features
> probably only works for *this* table anyway and is probably not used by
> extensions (at least I know none, and I've also not seen any bug reports

+1

I guess it will take some major efforts to change all places in core to the
new code, but I really think this is worth it.

We must also consider that the mysql extension in PHP will not be supported
for very long time any more. That means we will have to get our hands dirty
anyway?

How about integrating a development preview into 6.1, hopefully stabilize it
with 6.2 LTS and drop the old DB stuff with 6.3?

I guess porting the extbase layer will be the easiest part?!?

Best regards
Documentation – linkvalidator
TYPO3 .... inspiring people to share!