[TYPO3-core] RFC: Integrate Doctrine2 into TYPO3 CMS

Christian Kuhn lolli at schwarzbu.ch
Sat Jan 26 11:59:52 CET 2013

Hey.

I think it would be great to get doctrine as persistence layer in the
core. Maybe only as optional feature for some versions, similar to what
was done with the caching framework (parallel to the old code).

On 01/26/2013 11:30 AM, Oliver Hader wrote:
> In general it can be summarized to the following goals:
> * lower the effort to maintain our custom persistence layer
> * add the possibility to have better support for translation and
>    workspaces
> * use a standard that has been proven to be good and flexible
> * and thus get a bit more in sync with TYPO3 Flow again which utilizes
>    Doctrine already for quite some time

* solve dbal once and for all

There are two special parts in current core that should be considered to
be dropped along the way (with bullet proof migration wizards). They
could save us tons of headaches.

Without going to deep into details:

* Drop comma separated id list feature and adapt be_user<->be_group and
fe_user<->fe_group to use real mm.

* Drop 'localization overlay in different table' feature. In the core,
this is only done for pages<->pages_language_overlay, the code is
hardcoded at multiple parts throughout the core, so the features
probably only works for *this* table anyway and is probably not used by
extensions (at least I know none, and I've also not seen any bug reports
in this area for a long time).

Regards
Christian