[TYPO3-core] Autoclose core issues after inactivity

Ernesto Baschny ernesto.baschny at typo3.org
Thu Feb 21 17:22:33 CET 2013

Thorsten Kahler schrieb am 21.02.2013 15:43:
> Hi Thomas,
>
> Thomas Maroschik schrieb am 21.02.13 14:02:
>> Could a autoclose bot be
>> introduced that reminds authors of issues that the issue hasn't been
>> updated since 60 days and will be closed automatically in 30 days unless
>> the issue will be updated.
>>
>> The linked changes could be also abadonned automatically with a notice
>> that this happend due to inactivity.
>>
>> This behaviour would be a clear communication guideline and clean up the
>> issue tracker and review system.
>>
>> What do you think?
>>

> in the current state of our reviewing queue this would drop a lot of
> valuable bug reports and feature requests.
>
> Our problem isn't the number of outdated issues, it's the number of
> unreviewed patches.
>

> Nevertheless a reminder email for issue creators and assignees might be
> a way to attract some more action on "forgotten" tickets.

A lot of our valuable resources are used to go over the same issues in
the issue tracker over and over again. Stuff that is not valid anymore,
which noone really can reproduce etc is re-read by several developers
just to see if they are still valid.

The friendly ghost is a good way to keep at least the "current week's"
issues up-to-date with "requests for feedback" or further tagging /
categorization. But still lots of unanswered issues slip through or are
from the days before the friendly ghost.

Having a reminder to the author allows him to state "yes, still a
problem" or if we get no further feedback auto-closing it won't hurt. We
can still find the (even closed) issue if in search for it (i.e. now
even via Google).

So +1 on having such a "bot". But it has to be considered which status
should be affected (only "New" and "Needs Feedback" in my opinion) and
how should the bot detect which issues he already "send reminders" for
the last 30 days countdown. And also consider that we need this "per
project" and not globally.

Cheers,
Ernesto

--