[TYPO3-core] Changing the release cycle

Steffen Gebert steffen.gebert at typo3.org
Sat Feb 16 15:25:29 CET 2013

Hi Francois,

I see some problems because of the following facts:

(1) too much stress during stabilization phase
Xavier did it very well: The time between feature freeze and release was
pretty relaxed for the most people (at least compared to other
releases). Having two relaxed months to fix issues and kickoff new
projects is IMHO a very good thing. Unfortunately, it doesn't always
work like this. With 6.0, the namespaces thing required a lot of effort
("a lot" is probably underestimated for the immense work done by a
couple of people). Keeping the ambitions a bit lower would lead to
releases, which are obviously not that great, but keep developers more
relaxed.

(2) missing organization for next release
There was no kickoff for 6.1, even worse with 4.7. I think things like
release manager election and the first sprint have to be made / planned
before November. For 6.1, I guess this was not possible because of (1).

(3) bring features in early
after avoiding (1), it's easier to start big changes and submit them at
the beginning of the development phase - not at the end.

So honestly, I'm in favor of keeping the 6-monthly cycle. However,
please don't count my opinion too much, as I'm not active in development
anymore.

Kind regards
Steffen

- --
Steffen Gebert
TYPO3 Server Administration Team Member

TYPO3 .... inspiring people to share!
Get involved: http://typo3.org

I work for TYPO3 solely in my spare time. If you think that
my work helps you running your business, you are invited to
send me a donation via PayPal to this email address. Thanks