[TYPO3-core] Re: Re: Re: Memory system woes

Mathias Schreiber mathias.schreiber at wmdb.de
Sat Feb 16 15:20:40 CET 2013

Quote: pgampe wrote on Fri, 15 February 2013 18:46
> OK, tried with perfmon (which counter are you watching - commited memory?).
> IE9 test vm with 256MB Ram Total, Win7, IE9
> iexplore has, according to the report, 303MB of commited mem (peak)?
>
> I can send you the analysis if you like.
>
> I used the workspace module and the page module, while already being logged
> in into TYPO3.
>
> According to the resource browser, IE used between 50 and 100 MB.
>

> I will now test with a bigger VM and the latest IE9 updates.
>
> .... 100-150MB for various modules. It seems to leak some memory if you use
> many modules. AFAIK some stuff is cached in JS.
> No sign of 2-3GB.

How many pages does your tested TYPO3 install have?
We have roughly 20.000 pages and use 4.5.22 (well...23 as of now).
We have massive problems with the pagetree (RAM wise).
Opening up a node takes up to 2 minutes.

> I work in one.

Then consider yourself very lucky.
My experiences are from several automotive

> Well, if they are to stupid to do IT right, then I can not help them. Maybe
> they should use Sharepoint then?

Right.
You do realize that we try to position TYPO3 within the enterprise market and not Sharepoint?

> It offers most stuff TYPO3 does and you can customize it a lot of you have
> programmers.

I know, we have to move some things from TYPO3 to Sharepoint because of TYPO3 bugs (like the pagetree not being clickable when outside of IE8 compat mode).
But I thought our goal was to strengthen TYPO3s position in the enterprise market.
According

> Chrome for Business works well with standard compliant sites. With Chrome
> Frame you can selectively underlay the Chrome engine for specific sites.
> Cost: About 10K for testing and deployment (docs and howtos are free by
> google). Depends of course on how you calculate costs.

For 10k total cost you evaluate, test, customize and deploy browsers for 40.000 clients incl. trainings for every employee?
I find that VERY impressive.

> If you stick to standards, then a software evaluation should not cost you
> millions. If you do not stick to standards you should not complain that
> using standard compliant software does not work for you.

I just tried it out and wasn't able to use domain wide SSO, any hints on that?

> > b) Simply switch to another CMS (and the market is quite huge)
> If you are a Microsoft shop, you might be better of to use MS products then,
> e.g. Sharepoint as CMS. Oops ... needs more memory ... how bad.

The backend does not - that's why they move to Sharepoint :)

> > Out of these two options only one can be controlled by us...the
> > performance of the system compared to others on the market.
>
> I never said we should ignore performance. On the other hand, TYPO3 does not
> have to perform well on every (miss-configured) system in the world.
> We build TYPO3 to be usable in normal office environment.

Ah, now we're getting closer.
How and most of all, WHO defines "normal office environment"?