[TYPO3-core] CMS Configuration

Bernhard Kraft kraftb at kraftb.at
Thu Feb 14 21:07:44 CET 2013

Hello fellow developers,

For some time I am fond of the idea to have a TYPO3 configuration
application similar like the Linux kernel "menuconfig". If you have newer
compiled a Linux kernel optimized for your hardware simply download a
Linux kernel, extract it to /usr/src/ switch to this directory and do a
"make menuconfig"

In this interface you can decide whether to compile every thinkable
feature of the kernel. Either monolitically or as a module (which
compares to TYPO3 extensions). I guess features like workspaces,
versioning, DAM, etc. all take up resources - altough they are invaluable
important to many companies which use TYPO3 as an enterprise CMS.

You will surely have noticed that Linux runs on cloud servers having
uncountable numbers of cores and nodes. It runs on machines rendering the
most recent cinema movies but also (probably on your own) little WLAN
router down there behind your desk. It can have a footprint of a full 5MB
monolithic kernel with ever< module compiled in while the same source
can also be compiled to some neat mini few-hundred kilobyte kernel
rocking some router hardware eating up not more than 5 Watts of energy.
Even less then hazardous energy saving bulb <quote>and it remains unclear
what the health risks are from short-term exposure to low levels of
elemental mercury [1]</quote>.

I guess this is the solution to a problem which Microsoft did never
really cope with: Ever version of Windows required more and more
resources - altough one could simply disable most of those graphical
gimmick features like animated moving windows, etc.

So the idea would be to have a compilation script which allows to
automatically shrink down TYPO3 core to only the required features. But
as with any solution there is also a drawback: By having multiple
variants of the same core file memory consumption rises again. But this
would only be true for servers with multiple differently configured TYPO3
instances. Not for a dedicated machine.

greetings,
Bernhard

[1]: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
Compact_fluorescent_lamp#Environmental_impact