[TYPO3-core] Memory system woes

Oliver Hader oliver.hader at typo3.org
Wed Feb 13 15:45:56 CET 2013

Hi Mattes,

Am 13.02.13 13:51, schrieb Mathias Schreiber:
> Quote: pgampe wrote on Wed, 13 February 2013 13:06
>> It was removed, because it was not used by TER, thus TER extensions
>> never had this flag. At this time, nobody had time to fix the TER -
>> this has change fortunately.
>
> It was documented.
> Do we now remove everything that is documented just because someone
> feels it's not used?
> This gotta be a joke, right?

It is still available in TYPO3 4.7 and got remove in TYPO3 6.0. Besides
that it's simply a bad generalization that everything that is documented
gets removed. In this particular case it has been a flag that only
worked on your local machine, on your private extensions.

Since I have been involved in introducing this flag to TYPO3 4.3 (I have
been Release Manager back then and was co-working remotely with Rupi and
Steffen on several tasks), I know that this change had some impact, but
not a 30% performance increase.

Documentation of the EM_CONF data can be found here:
http://docs.typo3.org/typo3cms/CoreApiReference/ExtensionArchitecture/DeclarationFile/Index.html

The flag has been removed for TYPO3 6.0 with a regular RFC and the
accordant votes. It's nothing that somebody alone did nor that it has
been done secretly.

>> The refactored code from Christian will provide a better ground to
>> evaluate such a feature in the future again.
>
> Jup. And until then we are to simply tell our clients to stop using
> TYPO3 and wait for a refactored version?
> C'mon...
>
> Again, in case I didn't make myself clear:
> The website does not work without this setting because we are at the
> limits of hardware (aside from a IBM z900).
> So basically whoever removed this flag fucked up a 400k project.
> Please understand that I am not really happy about this.

As mentioned already in other threads a multiple times, the recent
performance issue is target to be solved until TYPO3 6.1.0, but was
accepted as current negative side-effect. Your clients should not use
TYPO3 versions that have not seen the first alpha version in production
environments.

I don't think we need to restart the whole performance discussion again.
Multiple community members have spoken up and raised their concerns.
This won't be ignored and for sure will be considered.

Thanks anyway for your feedback!

Cheers,
Olly
--