[TYPO3-core] Memory system woes

Oliver Hader oliver.hader at typo3.org
Tue Feb 12 18:50:00 CET 2013

Hi Dmirty,

Am 12.02.13 17:07, schrieb Dmitry Dulepov:
> Hi!
>
> Christian Kuhn wrote:
>> There is just no point in talking about memory increase of a hand full
>> of megabytes used by php for frontend requests now.
>
> Wrong. If you serve thousands of requests per second, than every
> megabyte counts. Hostings offer various plans and all of them have
> limited memory. People will not go changing the provider because the
> system suddenly needs more memory. They will blame it on the system. If
> it worked well before and does the same, why does it need more memory?
> It is illogical from any customer's point of view.

Which is true for sure if those customers still use Windows 98 since
Windows XP, Vista, 7 etc. required a lot of more memory...

Those numbers have to be put into a relation to the actual size of the
website and the desired benefits besides performance - which are i.e. a
flexible architecture and chances to scale out better, if it's required.

> The goal should be: higher speed and less memory. Memory always matters
> as well as speed.

Which is more or less the statement that Christian added in the previous
mail:

"Disclaimer: This does not mean that memory shouldn't be optimised at
all. If our application does something insane that can be solved more
elegantly with less memory consumption: Go ahead, we love those patches!"

Cheers,
Olly
--
Oliver Hader