[TYPO3-core] Review system woes

Steffen Gebert steffen.gebert at typo3.org
Sun Feb 10 11:58:39 CET 2013

I totally agree with Robert. Gerrit is only the tool that enables our
review workflow. We could also (almost..) do the same with Github - but
people have to count votes manually etc. Basically, that would be
similar to what we had in times of the RFCs in the core team mailing list.

Gerrit was introduced, because the manual overhead of the mailing list
was annoying and made core team members the bottleneck.
Well, isn't this what this thread is about? Still the Core Team members
are the bottleneck. Although Gerrit speeds up reviews, it doesn't bring
relief to a lack of time spent for reviews.

But I think that's pretty common for most widely used open source
projects. Just look at the issue trackers of other projects - there are
always loads of issues, when many people start to contribute. So I guess
that's not only a TYPO3 "problem", but just a negative side-effect of
accepting patches from the "outside" world.

Nevertheless, optimizing things is worth it.. so to join forces for
bringing big changes in, extending the core team with a couple of more
very active and diligent people (like Philipp), ask your boss for time
to improve TYPO3, etc. will bring TYPO3 forward. Complaining will not
help so much.

A big "optimization" is already that Christian Kuhn is working one day
per week paid by the T3A on reviews. That's already an amazing step,
which will for sure help us a lot!

Kind regards
Steffen

- --
Steffen Gebert
TYPO3 Server Administration Team Member

TYPO3 .... inspiring people to share!
Get involved: http://typo3.org

I work for TYPO3 solely in my spare time. If you think that
my work helps you running your business, you are invited to
send me a donation via PayPal to this email address. Thanks