[TYPO3-core] RFC 17978 -.... 30% performance drop without discussion

Christian Kuhn lolli at schwarzbu.ch
Thu Feb 7 00:16:14 CET 2013

Hey,

On 02/06/2013 07:43 PM, Helmut Hummel wrote:
> So going up from 9MB to 38MB required memory is pretty remarkable.

Yes, this peaks a bit. This is the usual size you have if doing (simple)
things in the backend, too. I guess, if we merge ctrl and columns
systematically and get rid of those cross-connections in there
($TCA['pages']['ctrl'] = $TCA['pages']['ctrl']), this will also hint the
php memory management more effective and might reduce overhead. First
patch for this is pending now.

> I quickly re-enabled (full!) TCA caching for the FE again, which again
> reduced the memory consumption to:
>
> This increase to 11MB max memory is totally fine in my opinion and the
> core itself will not be the limiting factor in this area, but (memory
> hungry) extensions.

So, we're talking about 3MB for "ctrl" only in comparison to the whole
thing. If $TCA is then cached serialized on disk it can be loaded very
quickly, with opcode cache it is a direct memory operation, and no db
call anymore like before.

Additionally, we should see if we can do micro optimizations in the
"extMgm" tca fiddling methods. Without benching too much, those are
probably the areas where a lot of parsetime is spend when executing
ext_tables.

Regards
Christian