[TYPO3-core] RFC 17978 -.... 30% performance drop without discussion

Jigal van Hemert jigal.van.hemert at typo3.org
Wed Feb 6 15:27:31 CET 2013

Hi,

On 6-2-2013 12:57, Dmitry Dulepov wrote:
> Christian Kuhn wrote:
>> We're talking about full-cache pages without user_int here. They are
>> usually somewhere around 30ms seconds or so. If that is now 40 ms ...
>> well ... i don't care.
>
> Do you care about seriously increased memory requirements for each
> request with the full $TCA loaded?
>
> Originally $TCA was loaded partially to save memory. PHP arrays eat too
> much of it. Now, with this "fix", you will send quite many sites to "out
> of memory" and customers will be requested to pay extra for hosting with
> more memory.

It was loaded partially, but in FE it could never be loaded completely
for a single table. If two extensions added fields to for example
fe_users and your FE extension would loadTCA('fe_users') only the
original information was loaded. You had to know which extensions added
information and load their ext_tables.php explicitly.

Memory is still to be considered, but the original stuff was written in
the times of 8-16MB PHP memory. Other parts like the EM (parsing the
data from TER) require a lot more memory. Most TYPO3 sites I have seen
recently are configured for 128-512MB memory.

Maybe we can create a way to only load what is needed, but the previous
implementation was just plain wrong.

--
Jigal van Hemert
TYPO3 Core Team member