[TYPO3-core] Renaming the generic term "Template" (as used for TS Template)?

Jigal van Hemert jigal.van.hemert at typo3.org
Tue Dec 24 12:11:16 CET 2013

Hi,

On 19-12-2013 23:33, Roland wrote:
> what do you think about this change request:
>
> https://review.typo3.org/#/c/25693/

Maybe we should first reach consensus about a new term (if at all) for it.

> my thoughts about it:
>
> ++ "TypoScript Template" is a much more appropriate term than "Template"

I would take it even further:
- "TypoScript" (instead of "TypoScript Template" or "Template"):
although it may have started as the template of a page it currently is
more about other configuration than the template of a page.
- "TypoScript record" for the database record which contains TypoScript;
also the record we store in pages and folders
- "page TSconfig" and "user TSconfig"; drop the use of TypoScript here
(only abbreviated as TS) to emphasize the difference between TypoScript
and TSconfig (although they share a common syntax)

> ++ The term "Template" was/is confusing - so you could/should call the
> usage of the term "Template" a bug (at least UX-wise)

In historic perspective it was probably logical. It's still possible to
build a page without any HTML file and thus the TypoScript 'template'
was the template for a page.

> ++ as it seems fixing this bug in TYPO3 6.2 would automatically fix it in
> all older versions without any further work which had to be done (you could
> argue that this is a nice side effect)

I'm not sure what you mean, but this change will most likely not be
backported to earlier releases.

> ++ i think we should not clutter TYPO3 6.2 with new locallang labels or
> locallang files

It's not about "cluttering", but we have a strict policy about not
changing labels for a good reason: all translations would be out of sync
and translators have no way to know that the original has changed.
Furthermore, it would also influence older releases which should not be
affected by such changes.

IMO the way to go is:
1. reach consensus about a new term (if at all)
2. create issues for the core bug tracker and the documentation bug tracker
3. create patches

--
Jigal van Hemert
TYPO3 CMS Active Contributor