[TYPO3-core] #53682, PHP 5.5.6, call-time pass-by-reference, PHP 5.6

Markus Klein klein.t3 at mfc-linz.at
Fri Dec 13 09:28:51 CET 2013

Hi!

Sorry but I've to clear things up a bit here.

It is WRONG that passing variables by reference is deprecated. It is of course not!!!
http://php.net/manual/en/language.references.pass.php

What has been deprecated long ago is the & operator used on variables in a function call. So called "call-time pass-by-reference". (function foo($x) {}    $a = ''; foo(&$a);)

We have to strongly distinguish between variables being an object-reference and variables passed by reference. It is perfectly valid to pass an object-reference by reference.

This example works and is not deprecated:
class classA{};
class classB{};

function changeIt (object &$a) { $a = new classB(); ]

$x = new classA();
echo gettype($x); // classA
changeIt($x);
echo gettype($x); // classB

So our current solution in Core is not against any rule!
It is indeed a breaking change in PHP 5.6+ that the support of passing variables by reference to a constructor is not possible anymore.

Kind regards
Markus

Markus Klein
TYPO3 CMS Active Contributors Team Member