[TYPO3-core] Change CGL for inline comments?

Patrick Broens patrick.broens at typo3.org
Mon Sep 24 11:51:33 CEST 2012

Hi,

On 24-9-12 10:13 , Stefan Neufeind wrote:
> On 09/24/2012 10:01 AM, Dmitry Dulepov wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> Helmut Hummel wrote:
>>> our CGL currently state that inline comments must be indented one tab
>>> more than the following code line.
>>>
>>> This is a speciality that only exists (as far as I know) in the TYPO3
>>> project for historical reasons.
>>
>> Historically comments were not indented. There was a huge discussion
>> about this question some time ago and in the end all comments were
>> forcefully indented in the core. Nice to see the proper indenting back.

What is "proper" indentation? It's just how we define the rules. We
don't stick to PHP or Zend CGL with a lot of CGL issues, for instance
using tabs instead of spaces for indenting, just to name one.

I liked the idea of having an extra indent for inline comments. My
personal opinion is it's visually better.

That does not mean that we shouldn't reconsider this issue. If no IDE
can handle the auto formatting of comments like this, we should change it.

Cheers

Patrick

--
Patrick Broens