[TYPO3-core] Official information about the upcoming LTS version

Michael Stucki michael.stucki at typo3.org
Fri Sep 21 00:45:05 CEST 2012

Hi Tolleiv,

> Michael Stucki schrieb:
>> Well, Firefox and Chrome ain't "most". I still prefer to take Ubuntu as
>> an example, who are doing it very similar to us.
>
> But the Ubuntu versioning schema depends on the <year> and <month> of
> the release and it doesn't show any relation to our choice for the
> version names. So what would you draw from it other than that every 4th
> release is LTS?

Sure their version numbers are slightly different ;-) But besides this,
it is very similar to our scheme:

- half-year release cycle
- LTS versions with extended maintenance
- releases with shorter maintenance but newer features

I would say that LTS versions are implicitely more stable than the other
releases, as we also didn't implement too many huge features in this
4.5, and I agree with Christians suggestion to do the same next time again.

Anyway, I think this is getting off-topic. I just brought up the point
since you mentioned that we are

| Pushing more and more features in upcoming minor versions (unlike most
| other software systems) [...]

And I think we actually agree that the way how we currently handle it
(see above) fits for us and should be kept.

> Anyways - I just made a small "survey" among the AOE project managers
> and they confirmed that "LTS" is at least important to sell the
> software. Even clients who didn't receive "LTS" in the end, used the
> existence of it to convince themselves to use TYPO3. From what I see (in
> our company), it doesn't seem many of our projects sticking with LTS in
> the end, I'd say that's mainly due to the fact that upgrades are quite
> easy. Would be interesting to hear from other agencies.

Very good initiative! I asked the same here and will post the result
later...

> Anyway (to go a little offtopic) - what I still dislike is that the 6.2
> LTS version could be followed by a 6.3 version. Imho this version
> shouldn't be named "6.2" but "6.5" to have a strong relation to the old
> LTS and it should ideally be followed by "7.0".

That is up to be discussed, but probably not yet ;-)

> In addition as already pointed out, I really dislike that the 6month
> release cycle topic is questioned again and again.

Who questions it? Did I overlook that?

Greetings, Michael
--
Michael Stucki