[TYPO3-core] Official information about the upcoming LTS version

Jigal van Hemert jigal.van.hemert at typo3.org
Thu Sep 20 13:41:18 CEST 2012

Hi,

On 20-9-2012 13:06, Markus Klein wrote:
> Right, but reporting is not enough, fixing is even more important.
> The problem is that people start to work on new features right after
> feature freeze, instead of fixing bugs.

Who does that? Many developers are fixing bugs, but fixing things takes
time and people...

> Just have a look at the open bugs list or even worse, the unmerged
> bugfix list in Gerrit, which contains lots of code which improves
> TYPO3, but the patches are just not merged.

Many patches don't have the necessary votes. If it was just a matter of
merging than there was no problem.

> Stop thinking of new features, concentrate on reducing bugs only. My
> opinion: A patch that is pending for 2 weeks in Gerrit is either a
> complete mess or simply ignored. Simple solution: Abandon the
> complete mess and merge the ignored ones.

I disagree. It can be hard to test, a patch for a feature you don't know
a lot about, and a large number of other reasons.

How would you determine without manpower if a patch is either a complete
mess or ignored? Abandoning patches is also frustrating for the person
who pushed it. Besides, (s)he can easily push it again and then the
problem is still not solved.
Merging untested patches is a recipe for disaster. Don't even think
about it ;-)

--
Jigal van Hemert
TYPO3 Core Team member