[TYPO3-core] Official information about the upcoming LTS version

Michael Stucki michael.stucki at typo3.org
Wed Sep 19 21:56:29 CEST 2012

Hi Tolleiv,

while we talk about major/minor/patch versions, the following document
should be mentioned again. As far as I can see, it is still fully valid:
http://typo3.org/teams/core-development-team/resources/release-workflow/

Am 19.09.2012 15:18, schrieb Tolleiv Nietsch:
> if we'd figure out a "good" way on how to deal with minor and major
> versions in the future I'd say we don't have to have an LTS. If e.g.
> upgrades within minor versions work automatically, there's no reason to
> declare another LTS because majors would "hold" long enough.

The precondition for running mass updates is that there are no changes
required to a site. That's exactly the reason why patch-level versions
must not change database schemes while major and minor can do.

Looking back at past releases, there were always good reasons for new
minor versions (e.g. 4.7) which introduce new features, whereas the
patch-level versions (4.7.1, 4.7.2) are limited to bugfixes.

That said, we should also not mix up major releases with LTS as the 6.x
major will clearly see new features soon (already in 6.1, for sure)
which will make unattended updates impossible.

> Pushing more and more features in upcoming minor versions (unlike most
> other software systems) together with steadily ongoing discussions
> whether the 6 month cycle is good or bad should really push us to
> formulate a proper agenda how we want to deal with future versions.

Well, Firefox and Chrome ain't "most". I still prefer to take Ubuntu as
an example, who are doing it very similar to us.

- michael