[TYPO3-core] Official information about the upcoming LTS version

Christian Kuhn lolli at schwarzbu.ch
Wed Sep 19 15:08:02 CEST 2012

Hey.

On 09/19/2012 11:57 AM, Steffen Gebert wrote:
> we talked about this last week, but there's no official decision or
> announcement to be expected (at least not before 6.0 release).
>
> Most of the people involved agreed that 6.2 might be a good candidate,
> as it will be released 6 months prior to 4.5 LTS's EOL.

My personal opinion boils down to:

* Make 6.1 feature rich again and get those things in that are already
prepared but not done with 6.0. Examples could be composer support,
maybe a command line interface, better fluid viewhelpers for the
backend, maybe extbase mixins, prototype switch, stuff like that.
Goal is to get all fruits from the 6.0 tree that were not mature for 6.0.

* Make 6.2 a rock stable LTS without too many new things. Make the
upgrade path from 4.5 as smooth as possible, concentrate on
documentation, tests and supporting features like for example maybe some
online service that does the namespace switch for custom 4.5 extensions.
Provide tools around the upgrade that tells devs/admins what at least
has to be done for an ugrade, for example to find code that still uses
deprecated / removed core api code.
Goal is to get all those installations into the boat that are currently
stuck on 4.5 with as much support as possible.

Regards
Christian