[TYPO3-core] Thoughts about current core

Georg Ringer typo3 at ringerge.org
Wed Sep 12 07:38:41 CEST 2012

Hi,

I am back from 3 weeks holidays with no checking mails at all. Now I
find myself in a kind of absolutly new core - here my thoughts about.

1st: WOW!
2nd: WTF ;)

Yes of course I knew about the namespace stuff and I hope I get used to
that, especially when it was in earlier days
t3lib_div::isFirstPartOfStr()
and now it is
\TYPO3\CMS\Core\Utility\GeneralUtility::isFirstPartOfStr() which is way
more to write and I haven't yet found how a good autocomplete can work
there.

What was very new too me is the whole moving files around and nothing is
anymore there where it used to me.

My concerns:
- People don't know yet that there are *so many* changes in the core
- IMO quite many extensions won't work anymore with 6.0 and people are
just not used to that
- 6.0 could be shipped with quite some bugs which happened during all
those changes
- People who are used the old TYPO3 won't see the benefits of all the
changes.

IMO there need to be more articles explaing the benefits of the changes
and what won't work anymore. Btw currently I don't get XCLASS anymore
running.

Don't get me (or my twitter msgs) wrong, changes are awesome but those
should be explained a bit more.

Georg