[TYPO3-core] Language fallback problems in 4.5 - 6.0

Markus Klein klein.t3 at mfc-linz.at
Mon Sep 10 09:39:26 CEST 2012

> Hi,
>
> There is an old (5 years old) problem with the config.sys_language_mode = content_fallback setting, menus and the page title.
> In the mean time there are of course multiple issues about this and at the moment work is going on with two of them.
>
> First we have #17354 [1]. There is a patch which is far from backwards compatible. This is not surprising because fixing it will break the
> current (incorrect) behaviour. It currently creates new API functions and a new setting. The patch is only targeted for 6.0, so 4.5-4.7
> will stay broken.

It's NOT introducing a new setting!

> The second issue is #19114 [2]. There is a patch which does not fix everything, but it does not involve new settings and API changes.

It does create new API in terms of a new public member variable, which has to be used by Extensions to properly adhere to the fallback mechanism.

> The problem is a nasty one regarding the way to fix it. Sites probably are used to the current, incorrect, behaviour and will break if it is
> fixed. Furthermore it needs to be fixed in 4.5 - 6.0
>
> My idea is that instead of the new API functions and new configuration setting we could have a new option to switch between the
> old, incorrect behaviour and the new, correct behaviour. For 6.0 and fresh installations of 4.5-4.7 this switch should be for the new
> behaviour as default and for bugfix-release upgrades it should be for the old behaviour as default.
> In the Install Tool / Upgrade Wizard we could let the integrator make a choice for this switch and deprecate it immediately.

Good idea, but please let's concentrate on one patch only. It's a waste of man power to work on two patches in parallel.

> What do you think?
>
> [1] http://forge.typo3.org/issues/17354
> [2] http://forge.typo3.org/issues/19114

Regards