[TYPO3-core] Still "global" extensions?

Jigal van Hemert jigal.van.hemert at typo3.org
Tue Oct 30 07:37:31 CET 2012

Hi,

On 30-10-2012 0:14, Stefan Neufeind wrote:
> Off-list we discussed whether it might make sense to be a bit more
> flexible and have something like "global" extensions not just below
> typo3/ext (where the source lives).

So far no arguments were given in favour of removing the feature. At the
moment we have:

- installing extensions as global is disabled by default
- it's fully supported in the core already (no effort needed to support it)
- it doesn't do any harm (it uses hardly any resources of a server)
- people are actively using it

Removing it makes a group of people unhappy, because they have to change
their installations and have more work doing upgrades in the future.

Making it more flexible takes effort (resources we need very much
elsewhere), it doesn't help the people who use this feature (they are
already happy with the global extensions because these installations
also share the TYPO3 sources).

Anyway, I've already wasted to much time on this.

--
Jigal van Hemert
TYPO3 Core Team member

TYPO3 .... inspiring people to share!