[TYPO3-core] Still "global" extensions?

Stefan Neufeind typo3.neufeind at speedpartner.de
Tue Oct 30 00:14:51 CET 2012

On 10/29/2012 11:54 PM, Jigal van Hemert wrote:

> On 29-10-2012 20:55, Stefan Neufeind wrote:
>> The question just came up whether still the functionality of "global"
>> extensions is around. Since 4.5 there is a README in that directory and
>> to me it feels like using this functionality is highly discouraged.
>> However it's not really deprecated or so.
>>
>> Was it decided to still keep it for certain reasons? Or might some large
>> step like 6.0 be a good chance to officially deprecate it and maybe get
>> rid of that part with 6.2?
>
> There seem to be quite some installations in the real world which use
> global extensions. There is no real burden in keeping that possibility.

Off-list we discussed whether it might make sense to be a bit more
flexible and have something like "global" extensions not just below
typo3/ext (where the source lives).

How about a list of directories, editable by Install-tool, with
directories to search? If not set might default to global/local as it is
now. This would allow not using global at all or having global at
/var/www-shared/typo3-ext/ or the like. And you could also have multiple
directories like

* "globally" provided by ISP
* "globally" provided by customer for several installations
* local for project
* ...

And could define a search-order for them. Either relative to the
typo3-root or giving absolute paths. And upon downloading an extension
check which paths are writeable to allow choosing where to download an
ext to.

Kind regards,
 Stefan