[TYPO3-core] Reworking css_styled_content

Jigal van Hemert jigal.van.hemert at typo3.org
Thu Oct 18 13:33:38 CEST 2012

Hi,

On 18-10-2012 9:52, Daniel Alder wrote:
> since the css_styled_content is one of the core elements for content
> rendering, first time I was little bit "shocked" to see the class behind.
>
> in most case the only thing changed was the TS setup. but the function
> "render_textpic" for example seems to be the same (except some small
> changes) since 3.7 (or even further down).

Mayb it's just that the PHP functions don't need to be changed that much
to change the rendering? Most of the magic is done in TypoScript.

> but more important then the structure, CTYPEs are not expandable. For
> example it's not possible to extend the text/pic content element or use
> the same functionality from text/pic for media elements.

You can register new content types and all render_* methods have a hook
to use your own rendering methods completely. Your own extensions can
call TypoScript both from PHP and their own TypoScript.

A refactoring of old code can be a good thing however. Preferably if all
the existing hooks van still work. New code must have unit tests to make
sure that future development doesn't break anything.

--
Jigal van Hemert
TYPO3 Core Team member

TYPO3 .... inspiring people to share!