[TYPO3-core] Proposal for the upcoming Roadmap and LTS

Thorsten Kahler thorsten.kahler at typo3.org
Tue Oct 9 13:44:08 CEST 2012

Hi Olly,

Oliver Hader schrieb am 09.10.12 12:52:
> Am 09.10.12 10:35, schrieb Thorsten Kahler:
>> There might be a demand for adjustments of or additions to the roadmap
>> caused by facts we can't foresee (maybe rather assume) yet. IMO
>> predictions about how the introduction of Neos and possible issues with
>> upgrading to 6.0 might impact people's and our needs can't be made as of
>> now. So don't interpret the roadmap as carved in stone: it defines our
>> current aims but it's subject to changes if circumstances differ too
>> much from our expectations.
> Well, it's not like that we wait what happens with TYPO3 Neos and then
> decide whether to continue or not. In sure we DO continue and also
> continue with transition to Flow and Neos.

I hope I didn't sound like that. But I obviously did.

What I wanted to say is that we can't predict e.g. the anticipation and
market share of TYPO3 CMS 6.x in April 2014. So if there's a need to
prolongue the support for 4.5 LTS we *might* decide on that /then/. I
think there's no sense in discussing how and whether to bury or
perpetuate that version.

I think the line of broken (release (date)) promises is not one of our
best traditions and we should take the chance to stop it. A roadmap, as
I see it, should guide us, not bind us. "This is how we want it to be
(now)" and "This is what we're working on", but not "This is how it will

Just my personal opinion, of course.


Thorsten Kahler
TYPO3 v4 Core Team member

TYPO3 ... inspiring people to share!
Get involved: typo3.org

More information about the TYPO3-team-core mailing list