[TYPO3-core] Official information about the upcoming LTS version

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Mon Oct 1 15:27:39 CEST 2012

Michael Stucki schrieb am 01.10.2012 14:30:

> I think I can agree but I'm not entirely sure I understand your last
> sentence correctly. IMHO we will have many 6.x versions just like we
> used to have 4.x versions, and some of them might be LTS releases. I
> wouldn't start any plans for a 7.x branch yet as this is something we
> will hopefully not need:
>
> 6.0 => 2012 / 10
> 6.1 => 2013 / 04
> 6.2 => 2013 / 10 (LTS?)
> 6.3 => 2014 / 04
> 6.4 => 2014 / 10
> 6.5 => 2015 / 04
> 6.6 => 2015 / 10
> 6.7 => 2016 / 04 (LTS?)
> 6.8 => 2016 / 10
> 6.9 => 2017 / 04
> 6.10 => 2017 / 10
>
> And in 5 years from now I really hope that nobody still wants to use
> TYPO3 (the "old" CMS) for new projects, but wants to use Phoenix
> instead... (If not, then we can discuss again about a 7.0 version...)

Although you probably didn't mean it that way, it sounds like you are
avoiding a "7.0" at any cost with your proposed time-table. :) I think
we should let it open for now and focus on the next tangible tasks:

* 6.0 => 2012/10 (DONE)
* 6.1 => 2013/04 (probably not under discussion)
* 6.2 => 2013/10 (potential LTS, discussion-worthy, +1 from me)
* no further plans after that yet

That's the current status of what we can still grasp with a logical
reasoning: 6.1 will stabilize the 6.0 status, maybe add and enhance some
of it's new features and possibilities. 6.2 could be developed with the
focus on "stable API for the following 3 years".

So on T3CON 2013 (one year from now 2013/10) we'll see where we stand
and what's our next milestones. It could be either one of those, which
we cannot and should not decide right now:

* 7.0 with major new stuff and breaking again some APIs (because we had
a 6.2 LTS before which allows us to do so)

* or 6.3 with some minor enhancements but in our old spirit of small
steps at a time

* or even a different set of release cycle (12 months?) if it makes
sense at that time...

Who knows? :)

Cheers,
Ernesto