[TYPO3-core] How to refer to TYPO3_CONF_VARS in the documentation (since v6.0)

Jigal van Hemert jigal.van.hemert at typo3.org
Fri Nov 30 11:46:36 CET 2012

Hi,

On 29-11-2012 21:32, François Suter wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Version 6.0 of TYPO3 CMS brought big changes to the handling of
> TYPO3_CONF_VARS. In the Documentation Team we are faced with updating
> the documentation with regards to that (among many other topics), but we
> are not sure how to write about this, partly because none of us has yet
> really toyed with 6.0.

There are as of 6.0 three files which handle the configuration:

t3lib/stddb/DefaultConfiguration.php : this contains the default
configuration

typo3conf/LocalConfiguration.php : is the file which contains the
configuration that is done with the Install Tool and for example the
Extension Manager. Whenever a configuration item is changed this file is
rewritten. Values in the array in this file override the settings in the
default configuration

typo3conf/AdditionalConfiguration.php : is an optional file with extra
configuration. This is a normal PHP file which is loaded using "require"
(if the file exists).

There is still support for reading the old typo3conf/localconf.php ; the
Upgrade Wizard will however convert this file to LocalConfiguration.php
and AdditionalConfiguration.php (if there are additional configuration
items), and rename localconf.php to localconf.obsolete.php .

> 1) can LocalConfiguration.php still be edited manually? If yes, are
> there limits to what you can do (adding, editing, deleting configuration
> options)?

It can be edited manually, but I don't think we should encourage that.
This is meant to be an automatically created and updated file. In case
of emergency you could disable an extension from the list, but I
wouldn't recommend other changes
For additional configuration is of course the
AdditionalConfiguration.php available.

> 2) LocalConfiguration.php does not explicitly mention TYPO3_CONF_VARS
> anymore. How should we refer to that then?

It contains the settings for TYPO3_CONF_VARS. The array in this file
overrides the default settings for TYPO3_CONF_VARS.

--
Jigal van Hemert
TYPO3 Core Team member

TYPO3 .... inspiring people to share!