[TYPO3-core] Proposal for the upcoming Roadmap and LTS

Xavier Perseguers xavier at typo3.org
Sun Nov 11 10:08:53 CET 2012

Hi Jigal,

> It actually does help if there is a next step available. Suppose we have
> someone to do the backports, reviews, etc. then he can do a lot more
> reviews and merges if the actual backports are already waiting in Gerrit.
> Especially after 6.0 with the namespace changes backports become more
> time consuming because they cannot be done by cherry-picking AFAIK.
> Unless git has some magic, because the classes have been renamed and
> moved to new locations.

No, unfortunately there is no way of cherry-picking automatically. We
discussed this problem with Karsten as well and even with a slightly
different approach of moving to namespaces, the result would be the same.

In a very few cases, I could trick a bit the cherry-pick and help a bit
backporting one or the other patch with minor conflicts. The trick was
to ask Gerrit for the patch for a given file and then forcing applying
it to the "old" file name.

But most of the time I end up rewriting the patch by copy-pasting which
requires lots of attention and is of course error-prone.

Kind regards

--
Xavier Perseguers
Release Manager TYPO3 4.6