[TYPO3-core] Proposal for the upcoming Roadmap and LTS

Jigal van Hemert jigal.van.hemert at typo3.org
Sat Nov 10 01:02:42 CET 2012

Hi,

Op 9-11-2012 12:42, Mario Rimann schreef:
>> In the case of maintaining older branches it's just a matter of doing
>> it. There are already scripts available which list all the issues that
>> need backporting.
>
> I'm perfectly aware of that. And I have spent many evenings with
> backporting stuff to 4.7, 4.6 and 4.5 during the last few months (my
> unpaid sparetime). At the beginning, that was a great success and there
> was a real progress. But at some point in time, the whole "mission" I
> was on got stuck somewhere in the review hell -> There are many many
> things pending in the review queue. I started some actions to talk to
> people or try to get something running by tweeting about it - but after
> all the overall situation is unchanged. And I'm sorry, I cannot do more
> than bringing stuff to Gerrit. I'm not even allowed to vote on my own
> changes (which is correct IMHO). So tell me what more can I do to push
> things forward in that regard?

Thanks for all your efforts in backporting patches. It's a great help.
As you have noticed reviewing patches is also something that takes
resources.

As Ernesto explained there is a budget application for having someone
working on these kind of issues a couple of days a month. At the moment
the ideas is that Christian Kuhn might be a good candidate for that. He
is a core team member so he has merge rights and can bring your
backports into the core.

If there is another LTS version, perhaps with considerable overlap these
few days a month might not be enough. More (hired) manpower could be a
solution here.

>> With development things don't happen quicker if you throw more people
>> into the equation. If you have a few people dedicated to backporting
>> changes that would help with more than 90% of the work involved.
>
> See above, I don't agree: Just being dedicated about something does not
> necessarily solve the problem.

Sorry, I meant dedicated not as in "motivated" but as in "assigned
specifically to a job" (like a dedicated server).

--
Jigal van Hemert
TYPO3 Core Team member

TYPO3 .... inspiring people to share!