[TYPO3-core] Proposal for the upcoming Roadmap and LTS

Tolleiv Nietsch tolleiv.nietsch at typo3.org
Thu Nov 8 17:54:36 CET 2012

Hi,

Mario Rimann schrieb:

> But I'm asking for a transition path to upgrade from one LTS version to
> the next LTS version. 6 months overlapping time is too short IMHO and
> therefore I think the next LTS should be coming better soon than late.

reading that sounds more as if LTS actually starts to cause quite some
problems.

I don't see that you have "just" 6 months to start the migration. Let's
say we agree that 6.2 will be the next LTS, then you can start to
prepare the migrations already after the 6.0 release. Why? Well, because
you know that the most critical things won't change until then in any
significant way, due to our deprecation cycle. And due to the fact that
6.2 would then be an LTS, we'd rather avoid to drop features even if
they're deprecated (as we did in 4.5). So from my perspective 6 month
overlap would be fine, if we really agree to have an LTS.

But having an LTS (as stated in other posts) is really just a marketing
issue from my point of view and that should/could be resolved in
other/better ways.

Cheers,
Tolleiv

--