[TYPO3-core] Proposal for the upcoming Roadmap and LTS

Mario Rimann mario.rimann at typo3.org
Thu Nov 8 16:59:49 CET 2012

Hi

Am 08.11.12 15:42, schrieb Xavier Perseguers:
> Well, that's true for any software actually. If you happen to buy an OS
> when it gets out (say Windows XP in 2001 to have known rules), you ended
> up having 12 years of support whereas if you bought it later, your
> "warranty" became less and less.

You're fully right with this one, there will always be slight difference
depending on the time of when you buy/get a software version.

But Microsoft always offered
a) a "long enough" maintenance period
b) a newer version with a big overlapping time

At the moment, TYPO3 has very big differences depending on when you get
a certain version installed -> from 3+ years down to 1 year or the like
(didn't look it up for the moment) depending on when the next LTS
version is coming out.

I think it's ok to have those differences - but within limited
boundaries (e.g. never < 2 years for an LTS version). Selling an LTS
version to a customer and telling him he's getting <2 years of
maintenance with it seems not like a solution to me.

Cheers,
Mario