[TYPO3-core] Proposal for the upcoming Roadmap and LTS

Fabien Udriot fabien.udriot at ecodev.ch
Wed Nov 7 14:59:39 CET 2012

I haven't read thoroughly all previous posts. Sorry, if I repeat what has been said.

> 3) Maintenance lifetime
>  * Therefore we suggest to only support the latest stable release and
> its predecessor, starting with the release of 6.0 - which means approx.

+1 for limiting the support time for non-LTS version to 1 year.

> TYPO3 6.2
>  * Release in October 2013
>  * Marked as the LTS version, supported until October 2016.

TYPO3 6.2 as the next LTS? I would have preferred 6.1. I consider 6 month overlapping time being
really too short to make the LTS transition.

Most of the people I know are still running 4.5. Migrating to the next LTS requires time (and
budget) that would put kind of pressure in a short time scenario, considering also the next LTS
release needs its time to mature and fix its bugs. Having the possibility to spread this migration
work over a year brings more comfort to many companies.

> 4) We don't see the need for defining 7.0 version - yet!
>  * We want to embrace 6.x just as we embraced and developed 4.x further.

TYPO3 7.0 vs TYPO3 6.x?

I saw that a LTS could come at the end of a development cycle where new stunning features have been
introduced along the way. Currently, we are in a kind of special position for "branch" 6.0 since we
have this version jump for 6.0. Following this idea, this would give something like:

4.6 - 4.7 - 6.0 - 6.1 LTS
7.0 - 7.1 - 7.2 - 7.3 LTS
8.0 - 8.1 - 8.2 - 8.3 LTS
etc...

Having such a development cycle makes it understandable for everyone and predictable allowing a one
year overlapping time between LTS. Breaking changes could be introduced in every new branch.

> because we don't really know yet where we will stand with
> TYPO3 CMS and where Neos will be in early 2014. Let's not promise
> anything that we cannot keep right now.

In what way does Neos influence the release cycle of TYPO3 actually?

Particularly considering the good progress of TYPO3 CMS these days, TYPO3 still has its future.  I
think it should be stated clearly. Many big customers don't have any plans to undertake a migration
to another system regardless how progress-full (and how cool) will be Neos.

Have a nice day!

Fabien