[TYPO3-core] CGL proposal: Dropping the closing PHP tag

Michael Stucki michael.stucki at typo3.org
Sun Nov 4 22:01:54 CET 2012

Hi Andreas,

> Am 22.10.2012 13:51, schrieb Michael Stucki:
>> That means, you only run into problems if you have more than one
>> newline after the closing tag. Why is this a problem? I don't know
>> of any editor who would add more than one trailing newline to a
>> file. Do you?
>
> no, the point is that the Jenkins rule complains about *any* new line
> after the trailing PHP tag. Some editors (like my local vi) add them.
> It won't hurt PHP-wise, but it does with Jenkins...

If Jenkins complains, why not fix just this part?

I don't think it makes any sense to spend too much time on this topic as
it is a very small subject, but I think it's the wrong approach to solve
a problem. If Jenkins complains about something that is not a problem,
we should just fix it instead of changing rules for the rest of us.

> Apart from that, 1+ trailing newlines will lead to errors and such an
> error is really hard to track IMHO, compared to how easy we could
> avoid it by just dropping the closing tag.

I don't think they are hard to track. Just saying...

Anyway, I think after all it's a matter of taste and if the majority
thinks it should be changed, let's do it.

- michael

--
Michael Stucki
TYPO3 Core Team member