[TYPO3-core] confused with refs/heads/TYPO3_4-X_backports

Simon Schaufelberger schaufelREMOVE-MEberger at punkt.de
Thu May 24 13:45:00 CEST 2012

Hi Ernesto,
i am wondering, why i still can see the remote branch on command line
level. is that somewhere hidden in my local git repository?

do i need to do something again and change my commit now? i didn't get that.

> since we are having that many regressions lately in 4.5.x releases which
> are making more people angry than happy, it makes us pretty scary to
> introduce even *more* potential for regressions in a version that we
> declared *stable*.

yes, this is a BIG point. i know about that very well and it is not the
first time that a later release was not more stable than the previous
one. I am wondering who made the tests and the reviews and declared it
as "working" even if it wasn't. This is a big pain so see that happen in
the worlds most used open source cms.

> Thus we will probably *not* have backported releases at all.

this raises a lot of questions. i think this is also the wrong way. We
from punkt.de have customers who have patched typo3 sources which is a
big pain when it comes to updates because then you have to manually
patch the core over and over again. Customers need to pay for upgrades
to major version so most of our customers still use 4.5 and how should
we than handle "unofficial releases"? This sounds like "non trusted"
releases and if only a few people take care about it, they have a lot of
responsibility as well so this is imho not a good idea.

seperating backport releases and security releases is very complicated.
what are security releaese based on? the latest backport or the latest
security release?

backports should get more tested with unit tests and selenium where
possible but should still be possible. An idea is also that the number
of +1 votes need to be higher in gerrit. You know it - no release is bug
free ;)

--
Kind regards,

Schaufi from punkt.de