[TYPO3-core] confused with refs/heads/TYPO3_4-X_backports

Ernesto Baschny ernesto.baschny at typo3.org
Thu May 24 12:35:05 CEST 2012

Hi Simon,

this is in part my fault of missing to inform more prominently our to
the backports project since the initial announcement.

We started with a branch in our main repository
(origin/TYPO3_4-5_backports), but having some technical drawbacks
(permission) we decided to make a cloned repository instead
(TYPO3v4/Backports.git). Later on the _backports branch in our main
repository was deleted, which is why you don't find it anymore.

Now the newest development is that we are discussed canceling the the
backports projects as a whole. It has received little to none interest
(not one push to gerrit since).

4.6 will for sure get no "backports" anymore (doesn't make sense), and
since we are having that many regressions lately in 4.5.x releases which
are making more people angry than happy, it makes us pretty scary to
introduce even *more* potential for regressions in a version that we
declared *stable*. It is probably the most widely used TYPO3 version on
bigger "long-term" installations, and it gets more and more dangerous to
have regressions included in patchlevel releases.

Thus we will probably *not* have backported releases at all.

Please share your thoughts about it. Maybe we can find some other kind
of solution (e.g. having some place hosting "non-official TYPO3 4.5 LTS
patches" or a stable backports repository which is not packaged as an
"official release")?

The Core Team attention needs to focus on 6.0 development by now and
since the resources are scarce, we face the decision of keeping most
focus on making the next release the best release ever. Also consider
that 6.0 support time will almost reach the EOL of 4.5 LTS.

Cheers,
Ernesto

--
Ernesto Baschny