[TYPO3-core] Alert before leaving unsaved changes

Jigal van Hemert jigal.van.hemert at typo3.org
Wed May 23 15:24:31 CEST 2012

Hi,

On 23-5-2012 14:43, Robert Wildling wrote:
> Interesting - I seem to have hit a sensitive point - unfortunately with
> the always same answers: no time, hire someone do it yourself (well, I
> am not a good programmer, so that is out of the question; hiring: I
> tried in the past and offered money - no response...)

Nothing sensitive, just that some people don't understand the concept of
a community driven project. It's not about "they should", etc. but it's
about "us".

The same answers are given because it's the reality. Loads of wishes,
loads of things to improve or even fix and a limited number of people
who are doing it.
And yes, the same response "I'm not a good programmer" is also very common.

> Maybe something changed after 2 years (last forge date) concering the
> "Alert on change" topic and people want to see that feature, maybe not.
> I certainly do miss it.

There is a voting option in forge. Until now I see 1 vote. Either not
many people miss it or you could motivate people to vote for it. Does
the voting work? Well, it has been introduced recently, but you can see
at [1] that the two most voted bugs already have patches which are
currently in the review process (the second one on the list is already
included in 4.7, but backporting to earlier branches isn't straightforward).

> So, please don't take everything personally, stay away from that "no
> time", "hire somebody" etc stuff and discuss *the idea* - if you want.

I'm not taking anything personally, and believe me, it is very hard to
offend me :-)
We can discuss the idea, but still someone has to invest time in it to
actually build it.

The point is that the TYPO3 project needs as many people as possible
from the community to help with the project. If you want something
changed, report it, discuss it, pick up the (as tiny as it is) project,
collect the people to build it and in the end make it happen.

[1] http://forge.typo3.org/projects/typo3v4-core/issues?query_id=322

--
Jigal van Hemert
TYPO3 Core Team member