[TYPO3-core] Alert before leaving unsaved changes

Robert Wildling robertwildling at gmail.com
Wed May 23 13:36:36 CEST 2012

Thanks for your response, Lorenz! And thanks for that link!

I do that kind of training with my people, too. And it is a question
that frequently comes up and they like to compare with CMSs like
WordPress, Joomla and such.

It seems again to be one of those usabilty features that TYPO3 just
doesn't want to implement. That makes a very modern CMS kind of very
conservative. Just recently I was wandering why, with the relaunch of
typo3.org, they didn't implement a "Stay logged in" button with the
login form. Whenever I want to go to forge, I have to keep going back to
login. Not very inviting, if people wish to post a bug or vote for a
feature or write a comment or whatever - maybe causing people to
evenutally not post anything.

Of course there came the answer "edit your cookie in your browser, there
are plugins for that". Yes, good, and yes, every- and anything is
possible in TYPO3 - just not always in a userfriendly, "proven" (in the
meaning of known from other software packages, also desktop
applications) way.

No doubt there where many usability improvements, expecially with 4.3
(in my opinion). But development shouldn't stop. And a simple alert that
pops up shouldn't that much of a problem, considering the amount of
JavaScript on the backend... is it?

I'd like to here more from the community and see if there is a way to go.

Thanks!
Robert