[TYPO3-core] Gridelements in the core?

JoH asenau info at cybercraft.de
Wed May 2 13:02:26 CEST 2012

Am 02.05.2012 08:42, schrieb Tolleiv Nietsch:
> Hi,
>
> I'd prefer not to move it into the Core with the existing code quality.
>
>  From my point of view both PHP files and JavaScript files carry code in
> a quality which would never be able to pass the review.

Well - on the other hand we have a lot of code that passed the review
due to better code "quality", but has lots of performance issues, bugs
or sometimes just does not work at all.

So if it's just about code beautification, that should not be the point
of this discussion, since it is about whether the funcitonality should
be implemented in the core or not.

> Besides that this would also mean that TemplaVoila would conflict with
> the TYPO3 Core - I guess some people might get upset.

This is why the concept of grid elements was to make it an extension
instead of implementing the code into the core. So you could easily
disable it to still be able to install TV or other conflicting extensions.

And actually this is one of the reasons why the code currently is a bit
bloated, since we did our very best to have it work with existing hooks
and no XCLASSes or core patches. So the core could stay the same with or
without grid elements to avoid conflicts with other extensions.

BTW: Grid elements has been developed for the core on demand. I have
been asked by the community manager if I would be able to provide the
"next logical step" for the backend layouts developed at T3UXW09. Since
there already was a sponsor willing to pay for it, we just agreed on
putting it up as an official 4.7 project.

Since we didn't finish it before feature freeze, it has not been part of
the latest release, but could be easily moved to 6.0.

So I think the question is not, if it should be in the core or not,
since it actually already has been developed for the core. It should be:
How to get (especially the non conflicting) parts of the functionality
into the core and how to improve the rest of it to be available as a sysext.

Hope this clarifies the intentions a bit

Cheers

Joey

Dieter Nuhr, German comedian
Xing: http://contact.cybercraft.de