[TYPO3-core] jQuery Integration

Jigal van Hemert jigal.van.hemert at typo3.org
Tue May 1 20:59:40 CEST 2012

Hi,

On 1-5-2012 17:31, Ingo Renner wrote:
> Am 01.05.12 15:06, schrieb Jigal van Hemert:
>> On 1-5-2012 13:45, Ingo Renner wrote:
>>> o_O
>>> I'd rather kick ExtJS' butt and remove that stinky piece of code from
>>> core...
>>
>> Sure, but I don't think it's realistic to expect that all places where
>> ExtJS is currently used can be rewritten in time for 6.0.
>
> not for 6.0, but I was still surprised about what you wrote ...

Maybe I wrote it a bit clumsy :-) I am not religious about any JS
framework and I am also not a JS expert who can judge about the quality
of those frameworks.
Furthermore we should not have the world record for the application
which loads the most JS frameworks simultaneously :-)

For a while we had enough expertise to use ExtJS in the backend. This is
currently not the case and I don't expect this to change rapidly in the
near future. OTOH it also not wise to change JS frameworks too often. A
lot has been invested in a framework and it takes a lot of resource to
rewrite everything; resources we could very well use in other areas.

The end result for me:
- if jQuery goes in, others must go out
- it's not realistic to replace ExtJS in 6.0, so that has to stay

--
Jigal van Hemert
TYPO3 Core Team member

TYPO3 .... inspiring people to share!