[TYPO3-core] Gridelements in the core?

Patrick Broens patrick.broens at typo3.org
Tue May 1 11:44:39 CEST 2012

Hi,

On 1-5-12 11:02 , Markus Klein wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Since gridelements is the basis for adding the possibility of rendering html5 grouping tags like <article> and this is highly related to css_styled_content, I think the Core is the right place for this (such an) extension. On the other hand, having this extension in the Core itself, restrains the possibilities of updates to new Core releases.

I agree on this one. For HTML5 there is a need to have some kind of a
grouping element (article/section/aside). One content element does not
necessarily represent one of these tags. Multiple content elements can
be within an article, section or aside.

We currently claim that you can properly output HTML5, but there is no
way in the core to group elements, which is one of the main new features
of HTML5. As Markus said, it is highly related to css_styled_content.
During the HTML5 integration for the Incubator project I left out the
grouping tags, simply because currently it can't be done properly.

IMHO it would be good to have the basics within the core and leave the
rest in a separate extension.

I have to admit I never took the time to have a close look at grid
elements and therefor don't have an opinion about quality or usability.

Cheers

--
Patrick Broens
TYPO3 Core Team member