[TYPO3-core] Version numbers in Releases line

François Suter fsu-lists at cobweb.ch
Fri Mar 23 12:44:19 CET 2012

> Not so good. When someone looks into the history he will find "master" and has no idea which version "master" was at the time of commit.

Indeed that's a drawback. I was suggesting this because what I would
expect from usual software development is that you don't really know
which new version number you're aiming at when you start development. A
minor release might become a major one. This is exactly what happened
when TYPO3 3.9 actually became 4.0 (you could see the legacy of this
change in the version compatibility check, which was actually still
relying of 3.9 rather than 4.0). So we could stick with 4.8 and just
know, at a later point, than 4.8 became 6.0. There are already patches
that went in with 4.8 as their target version anyway.

Cheers

--

Francois Suter