[TYPO3-core] Deliver unit tests in the packaged sources?

Ernesto Baschny ernesto.baschny at typo3.org
Wed Jun 27 10:12:11 CEST 2012

Steffen Ritter schrieb am 27.06.2012 09:09:
> Am 27.06.2012 08:59, schrieb Christian Kuhn:
>> For those people who do not want them inside the document root: Just do
>> not link them.
>>
>> My main hope is that more people run the tests
>
> I think your view is way to "developers seight".
>
> 1. Many people will just "upload" or "unzip" sources to there webroot.
> No central symlink architecture.
>
> 2. The most people just installing TYPO3 or maintaining TYPO3
> installations (as in not developing) just do not know what UnitTests
> are, or what to expect from the results
>
> So please don't make the mistake to think all TYPO3 users are you.
>
> Just imagine the leader of the local sports association just installing
> TYPO3, reading a book and integrating a basic site for his assocation.
> He never studied Computer Science or was into Programming? What are Unit
> Tests to him?

But what would he care? Imagine he has never heart and ever wants to use
"workspaces". What are "Workspaces" to him? Should we drop them from the
package because most users won't use it? Same argument for most other
sysext in the core.

> I think I could do plenty such examples - in a nut shell: majority has
> no use case for developer-only relevant stuff. And as Release Manager it
> is even more your task to think of people not beeing developers as all
> the developrs are around and raise their voice :)

The core ships with lots of sh*t which is for "developers only" and I
haven't heard any customer complain about it.

The arguments from Christian and co are valid. Having more potential
test-beds for the unit tests is great. If something is wrong in a
particular setup it's cool to be able to ask the guy to "run the unit
tests please". We might find stuff we haven't noted before (e.g. in
different platforms, versions, libraries etc). The core and "tester"
team is too small to reach all potential test-cases.

+1 for including it.

Cheers,
Ernesto
--