[TYPO3-core] How to handle dependencies in Gerrit?

Susanne Moog susanne.moog at typo3.org
Tue Jun 19 16:35:47 CEST 2012

Hi,

On 06/19/2012 11:05 AM, Markus Klein wrote:
>> the reason I am writing is the topic 24087. The situation is like this:
>>
>> * There is an patch already merged in master, that only solves a part of the issue.
>> * Backports of this patch are pending in Gerrit
> [1]
>
>> * I pushed a new patch for master, that solves it finally but is based on the first patch.
> [2]
>

>> How should that be solved? I see 2 possibilities:
>>
>> 1) Amend the backports with the "new" solution, merge the second fix to master and do not backport it.
>>
>> 2) Merge the backports of the first fix into branches "as is" and backport the second patch from master to release branches.

I'm for [1] as we should never knowingly introduce bugs / inconsistent
states. If the 2nd patch in master states in the releases line, that it
is only relevant for master the merges page will still stay clean, but
we won't risk getting it only partly fixed in lower branches.

Regards,

Susanne

--
Susanne Moog