[TYPO3-core] Merge module 'configuration' with 'reports' ?

Jigal van Hemert jigal.van.hemert at typo3.org
Tue Jun 19 07:38:55 CEST 2012

Hi,

On 19-6-2012 1:14, Christian Kuhn wrote:
> Next, he pushed a patch [2] to the configuration module (main module
> item that shows content of $GLOBALS arrays) to also show all xclasses
> registered the 'new' way (via an ext_autoload entry).
>
> The problem is, that the configuration module does not really fit: It is
> constructed to show content of global arrays, but not to show
> configuration things that are located elsewhere.

I've thought about a suitable and logical place to put it. The reasons
for picking the Configuration module were:
- the old XCLASS way can also be found in this module (devs/integrators
would know this place to look for this information)
- the module shows arrays in a tree structure; the autoload XCLASSes are
in an array form
- the new XCLASS method is a kind of configuration, even if it isn't
using a global array

It wasn't a perfect fit, but it seemed to be the most suitable place.

> Thus, I proposed to add a new submodule to the reports module to show
> the registered xclasses. Currently, the reports module comes with a
> 'Status report' and a 'Installed Services' tab. It seems logical to me,
> to add a 'Registered XCLASS' tab there.

It felt as too much for such a feature...

> And if we do this, the next step is to move the 'Configuration' module
> to a reports tab called 'global variable status' or something like that.
> This would reduce the main module by one entry and centralize all
> 'reporting and system analysis'. What do you think?

This means that we would remove the possibility to modify $TCA and
$T3_SERVICES, which is currently possible in the Configuration module. A
Reports module is not a place to modify settings, is it?

If losing the editing functionality is not a problem I'll try to find a
way to make a usable report of the humongous arrays...

--
Jigal van Hemert
TYPO3 Core Team member

TYPO3 .... inspiring people to share!