[TYPO3-core] Adding visibility to methods and variables within t3lib_tcemain?

Oliver Klee typo3-german-02 at oliverklee.de
Tue Jun 12 12:27:53 CEST 2012

Hi,

Am 12.06.2012 10:49, schrieb Xavier Perseguers:
>> Still I agree with Christian, proceeding with the requests is not a
>> small step but I think that 6.0 also enables us to make these (slightly
>> breaking) changes without complex deprecation methodology.
>
> I totally agree! Unfortunately, one cannot base the refactoring on the
> few @private comments that are in the PHPDoc because this is not always
> the case over the years where some first "private" methods got used for
> good reasons outside of the class.

My 0.02€:

I think that we could make these methods protected (unless they are used
by the core from the outside - then they should be made public, or the
callers need to be fixed).

Anyone who is calling a method that is marked as @private willingly
takes the risk that their code might break any time when the visibility
is enforced (or the method is moved, removed etc.).

In other words: The Core defines an API which extensions can use. If an
extension uses non-API methods, it's at their own risk.

Oli
--
Certified TYPO3 Integrator | TYPO3 Security Team Member